Thursday, November 22, 2018

Where I've Been

Well hey there. . . welcome back . . . to say it's been a while would be an understatement.

These past few months have been busy, busy, busy. I have several blog drafts that I've started and never finished and now they're a little irrelevant . . . does it make sense in November or December to post a blog all about how my summer was? Yes? . . . No? Well, I didn't think so either. Maybe one of these days I'll post something about what I've been up to more specifically since I was regularly posting, including the summer.


I'm writing this on Thanksgiving Day. Immediately after I post this one, there will be another post about what I'm thankful for. But, this 4-day weekend is some of the only time I've had all quarter to actually write some posts. I'm hoping to write quite a few today, or at least over the weekend.

School has been busy, work has been busier . . . life has been stressful. My days are long and often exhausting. I keep telling myself it's almost finished, because Christmas break is right around the corner. And for me, which I'll discuss further later on, I have a whole month away from school and work! But enough of what's going to happen in the future . . . where exactly have I been?!

In September, I started working again at L Elementary school 4 days a week. On Fridays, I am at S Elementary school (using initials for privacy), doing my practicum work. As a practicum student, I teach lessons, observe the teacher, and work with small groups of kids. I get to know the students, and love them more and with each new interaction. This quarter has been especially affirming to my desire to be a teacher. I love these kids. I love this work. But as a life skills para at L, I often feel distraught and anxious that I'm doing the wrong thing, that I'll be unhappy in my work forever, and that my schoolwork is pointless. But then on Fridays, I get to forget about all of that and be a little bit closer to who I really want to be - a teacher with MY OWN CLASSROOM with MY OWN STUDENTS!! I really can't wait, you guys.

And I only have a year and a half left.

October went by very quickly with lots of projects to do and tough days at work. My mom and sister and I spent a weekend at Lakeside Bible Camp, learning more about Jesus, each other, and ourselves. That was such a blissful weekend, and quite a blessing in the mix of a tough month.

November has also come and gone so quickly. I turned 20 - which will be another post on it's own. What a birthday that was!

This week has been pretty insane at work. I joined a gym, which I think I'll really enjoy. We had no classes all week, which is a huge blessing. I've been catching up on homework and actually reading for fun. I LOVE reading. I don't know if I've mentioned it here before - but it's my obsession. I have books EVERYWHERE and I still don't have enough.
This past quarter I've been reading lots of Bible-based books that I've enjoyed, such as Everybody Always by Bob Goff. I'm currently reading plenty of Jesus books as well - Boundaries by Henry Cloud and John Townsend, The Ministry of Ordinary Places by Shannon Martin, and Good and Angry, by David Powlison.

Not exactly faith-related, but the author comes from a Biblical perspective, I've also been listening to Girl, Wash your Face by Rachel Hollis, which is AMAZING (don't worry, reviews on all these books to come). It's such a breath of fresh air in this overly indulgent and media-crazed world. I got Girl, Wash your Face on audio CD because there were 22+ holds on it at our library. I love listening to it though, since it's her voice reading, she knows the best way to read it. It's so amazing.

I also read lots of fiction novels last weekend - they are middle school level but I was so intrigued by them. The Boy in Striped Pajamas, Out of my Mind, and Because of Mr. Terupt were inhaled by me this past weekend.

That's just some of what I've been up to. But I hope you've enjoyed a little piece of my heart in this post, and I'll see you all soon.

Thanks for reading,

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment