Sunday, June 3, 2018

My First Day Project - Classroom Management

Strong classroom management starts on the first day. We will do a lot of team-building exercises, like a STEM project, a name game, and I will give a questionnaire to get to know the students, as well as tell them a bit about myself. On the first day, students will be greeted at the door, with a smile and a, "Hi! I'm glad you're here. I'm Ms. Wisniew." After the first day once I know names, I will greet all students at the door using their name and asking questions about their night or weekend if appropriate. 

Whenever it makes sense, I will talk to my students about what's going on their lives and find things in common - especially on the first day. Students love to know what their teachers' favorite things are, what they like and don't like, and I will talk about all these things. I will talk to my students as if they are adults. Not as little children. 

Turn-a-Card - Each student is given an envelope containing a green, blue, yellow, and red card. A child will use these cards to communicate their feelings. This way, I know where my class is at by a quick glance around the room and can redirect any students that are feeling frustrated or bored before they get out of control.


As part of my classroom management, I want my students to do a lot of their own behavior management. Students will be given journals/notebooks to record how they did at the end of the day. If they had a hard day, they will color the date (on a calendar on the inside), yellow or red. If they had a good day, they will color it green or purple if they had an outstanding day. They will also get a few minutes at the end to journal about what they did that day, how they felt about certain things, what they learned. They will be encouraged to be honest with themselves because this is for their eyes (and mine & their parents, later on), only.

Rewards - Students will be given a token (fake gold coin), to place in a jar when they do something that exceeds expectations, uses the word of the week, etc. Once the jar is filled, the whole class gets a reward (such as party, class snacks, extra recess). Also the procedure will be taught for whatever the school-wide motivation system is.

Consequences - yellow zone/red zone - send a note home, call home, principal's office, depending on severity of misbehavior. Something like not following directions all day or being asked multiple times to do something may result in a note home, and something as severe as bullying, throwing desks, or hitting another student may result in all three. 

Motivation - whole class rewards, self-assessment, calls home to parents/caregivers.

Whenever we have long breaks, before and after a sub takes over, Monday mornings, and whenever necessary, we will review and practice procedures by actually doing them and having myself and students model them. We will do the same with class and school-wide rules and review them often, whenever necessary.

Since I don't know what school I will work for in the future, I don't know what they policies will be with consequences, motivation, etc. However, I will always have a smile when I can, be positive and happy to see and work with my students which will aid my classroom management! Even if I am not always bubbly and excited, my students will always know that what is best for their learning is at the front of my mind always.

No comments:

Post a Comment